[press-announce] PRESS RELEASE: Publication Date for "A Lit Fuse" Harlan Ellison Biography

Thu Sep 22 17:07:08 EDT 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

“A LIT FUSE,” LONG-AWAITED
HARLAN ELLISON BIOGRAPHY,
SETS PUBLICATION DATE

SOMERVILLE, MA -- NESFA Press, the publishing arm of the New England
Science Fiction Association, announces the publication of A LIT FUSE: THE
PROVOCATIVE LIFE OF HARLAN ELLISON, AN EXPLORATION BY NAT SEGALOFF.
Written over the course of five years, consisting of exhaustive and
exclusive interviews with Ellison, his colleagues, his family, his friends,
and his enemies, A LIT FUSE will be published in a 500-copy limited special
edition this fall (2016). The limited edition is now available for
pre-order at $75 from NESFA Press. A general hardcover edition is expected
by early Spring, 2017. The slipcased special limited edition will include
features not available in the general edition.
“A LIT FUSE is authorized, but that doesn’t mean it’s a hagiography,” says
Segaloff. “The first thing Harlan told me when we started our adventure was
that he wanted me to write the truth. Considering that that’s what Harlan
himself has been doing for the last sixty-five years, I had a clear
mandate.”
Tracing the fractious Ellison’s life and career – and including, for the
first time with permission, excerpts from his work –  the biography
explores his fears, his demons, and his doubts as well as his principles,
his hopes, and his triumphs. “It is, without question, the most vulnerable
and intimate he has ever allowed himself to appear in print,” Segaloff
says. “This is a portrait of the man and his intensely personal creative
process, not the usual list of lawsuits, melees, or tantrums, although
they’re in here, too.”
Those interviewed include Neil Gaiman, Patton Oswalt, Peter David, David
Gerrold, Robert Sawyer, Michael Scott, Edward Asner, Leonard Nimoy, Ed
Bryant, Alan Brennert, J. Michael Straczynski, Robert Silverberg, Paul
Krassner, and Walter Koenig.
Of particular note are an analysis of the Connie Willis controversy, the
infamous dead gopher story, allegedly pushing a fan down an elevator shaft,
and the final word on THE LAST DANGEROUS VISIONS.
“NESFA Books is honored to be publishing A LIT FUSE,” says editor David G.
Grubbs. “So much has been written about Harlan Ellison without Harlan’s
input that we finally have the man himself on record. This will be a
revelation, even to people who know him.”
Information and order forms for A LIT FUSE can be found at
http://www.nesfapress.org/Books/Segaloff.html.

Contact: NESFA Press
sales at nesfa.org
617-625-2311