[nesfa-reading-group] NRG July 2021 Reading Group Book Choice Results

Louis Galvez III nesfalou at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 15:11:25 EDT 2021

Glad to hear it! I’m looking forward to it too, this will be the first story by Alastair Reynolds that I’ll read.

On a different note, this is the second book selection in a row that we’ve chosen a science fiction novel by a writer not know for writing science fiction (to be fair, everything I know about Lao She is what I just read on wikipedia). It’ll be interesting to see how Lau She’s 1930’s novel, Cat’s Country, compares to Dorris Lessing’s Shikasta. Below is the “Critical Reception” section from the Cat Country wikipedia article below:
> quote_type
> Critical reception
> Lao She declared his attempt at satire a failure, lamenting its lack of humour, and critics have described the book as not a great novel. Cyril Birch describes it as sound in structure and fun, but very uneven. Koon-Ki Tommy Ho argues that many critics evaluated Cat Country by standards not applicable to utopian fiction, and states the book "placed [Lao She] among the successful modern writers of dystopia in world literature."

I’ll read all the books we’ll discuss this time around. I feel a little bad giving up on Shikasta. I may adopt Robert’s 'read 10 pages a day’ strategy and ‘get er done'. ...‘er' being Shikasta.

NESFA Lou
El Jefe
NESFA Reading Group
NESFA Writes!

M (617) 605-6346
E nesfalou at gmail.com
nesfa.org
boskone.org
NESFA, the New England Science Fiction Association, is a non-profit group (and a 501(c)(3) corporation) interested in supporting all things related to science fiction and fantasy.