[nesfa-reading-group] NESFA Reading Group

Richard Schwartz richardjschwartz at icloud.com
Sun May 9 16:49:34 EDT 2021

Fellow SFF Fanatics

In our June book, Children of Ruin, there is a tank of octopuses kept in the center of a rotating space ship, presumably with little or no gravity at that location.  The question is "would the water stay in such a tank with no lid?".  Being curious, I asked an astrophysicist.

Answer -
Well, assuming there's no other weirdness when the gravity goes away (like, the sudden release of force/pressure has everything springing upward a little in stress-relief), if there's no disturbance the water should stay in the aquarium. Its surface tension might/would try to pull it into a spherical shape; capillary forces might try to pull it up & spread it over the walls of the aquarium; but the water is pretty massive (compared to those forces), and I'd guess it would take a long time to move it much. Assuming nothing else disturbs it!

You could think of a real experiment that might be exactly the same. You could have an aquarium with a sheet of glass covering the open top, held in place by (for example) a bunch of electromagnets. Then, in space (in the Space Station, e.g.),fill the thing chock full of water through the appropriate little pipe with air vent, etc. When its totally full, give everything time to settle down, then release the cover and flick it away. Same question: what happens to the water? Answer: 1. See above; or, 2. Whothehell knows??

Richard (Schwartz)