[nesfa-reading-group] Science Fiction by Sherryl Vint

David G. Grubbs dggrubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 16:05:26 EDT 2022

There are only two books that could be confused for each other: *Science
Fiction* (2021), and *Science Fiction: A Guide for the Perplexed* (2014).
According to her UC-Riverside page:

Sherryl Vint’s research focuses on speculative fiction, especially
relationships with science and technology. She works broadly within a
Marxist cultural studies tradition. She has published five books: *Science
Fiction: A Guide for the Perplexed* (2014), *The Wire* (2013), *Animal
Alterity* (2010), *Bodies of Tomorrow* (2007), and with Mark Bould,
The *Routledge
Concise History of Science Fiction* (2011). She has also edited or
co-edited several volumes and special issues, including most recently *Science
Fiction* (2021) and *Cultural Theory: A Reader* (2015), a special
issues of *Paradoxa
on The Futures Industry* (2015) and, most recently, *After the Human:
Culture, Theory* and *Criticism in the Twenty-First Century* (2021).

The one I assume we are reading is the only one available from MIT Press,
the recent *Science Fiction* (2021) that is a $15.95 207-page (though
without the Acknowledgments, End Notes, Glossary, Further Reading and
Index, it contains 168 pages) very tiny paperback book (smaller than mass
market) that I at this moment hold in my hand.

I haven't read it yet, but I'm hoping the "Marxist" reference is a terse
external opinion and not the theme or thesis of the work we have to read.