[nesfa-reading-group] book club recommendations

Shelly Thomas yellerdoggy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 13:22:08 EDT 2023

Here are my 3 suggestions:

*The Black Grail, Damien Broderick*
A millennium from now, global warming has gone into retreat as the Sun's
dynamics convulse. The great ice returns, driving humankind back to its
primitive origins. Here, bands of brutal warriors wage war in the bitter
cold. Xaraf Firebridge, powerful young son of a barbarian chieftain,
enrages his sire by adopting the pacifistic doctrine of an outland mystic,
Darkbloom. Before he can break his vow and slay his father, he is drawn
into a temporal wormline and flung a further million years into the Earth
of the Failing Sun.

*Sea of Tranquility, Emily St. John Mandel*
Edwin St. Andrew is eighteen years old when he crosses the Atlantic by
steamship, exiled from polite society following an ill-conceived diatribe
at a dinner party. He enters the forest, spellbound by the beauty of the
Canadian wilderness, and suddenly hears the notes of a violin echoing in an
airship terminal—an experience that shocks him to his core.
Two centuries later a famous writer named Olive Llewellyn is on a book
tour. She’s traveling all over Earth, but her home is the second moon
colony, a place of white stone, spired towers, and artificial beauty.
Within the text of Olive’s best-selling pandemic novel lies a strange
passage: a man plays his violin for change in the echoing corridor of an
airship terminal as the trees of a forest rise around him.
When Gaspery-Jacques Roberts, a detective in the black-skied Night City, is
hired to investigate an anomaly in the North American wilderness, he
uncovers a series of lives upended: The exiled son of an earl driven to
madness, a writer trapped far from home as a pandemic ravages Earth, and a
childhood friend from the Night City who, like Gaspery himself, has
glimpsed the chance to do something extraordinary that will disrupt the
timeline of the universe.

Schismatrix Plus, Bruce Sterling
<https://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Sterling/e/B000AQ0S3S/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1>

Schismatrix is a science fiction novel by Bruce Sterling, originally
published in 1985. The story was Sterling's only novel-length treatment of
the Shaper/Mechanist universe. Five short stories preceded the novel and
are published together with it in a 1996 edition entitled Schismatrix Plus.