[nesfa-reading-group] Your three books for January?

Wesley Brodsky wesbrodsky at alum.mit.edu
Wed Nov 1 13:20:48 EDT 2023

\|/                 \|/
__________________________________
From: Wesley Brodsky <wesbrodsky at alum.mit.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2023 5:56 PM
To: dggrubbs at gmail.com
Subject: Re: Your three books for January?

I have two which I think we voted on before, but. if I remember, did not select.

James Morrow “City of Truth”; I read this several years ago, and liked it. It won a 1992 Nebula Award.
Truth reigns supreme in the city-state of Veritas. Not even politicians lie, and weirdly frank notices abound—such as warning: this elevator maintained by people who hate their jobs: ride at your own risk. In this dystopia of mandatory candor, every preadolescent citizen is ruthlessly conditioned, through a Skinnerian ordeal called a “brainburn,” to speak truthfully under all circumstances. That is, until the main character finds an important reason to resist his “brainburn.”
Available in Kindle & hardcover from Amazon

Lester Del Ray “Police Your Planet”
An oldy but goody according to the Wednesday evening NESFA group.
Bruce Gordon is an ex-fighter, ex-gambler, ex-cop, ex-reporter, and now he is an ex-patriot of Earth. Security ships him to Mars with a yellow card that means no return. A SF novel that would appeal to Mickey Spillane fans, Police Your Planet features lots of hands-on violence, assorted beatings, and blood. But this isn't just a crime novel put into space – this is a hard SF novel, and the terraforming of Mars is central to the story.
Available in Kindle & hardcover from Amazon

I was thinking of a third non-fiction book, but it is science fact, not about science fiction.

My third suggestion:

Ann Leckie “Translation State”
We had read the first in the “Imperial Radch” series a while ago, and folks seemed to like it. This is the latest in the series. According to the review I read, you don’t need to have read the previous novels in the series to appreciate this one.
When Enae's grandmaman passes away, Enae inherits something entirely unexpected: a diplomatic assignment to track down a fugitive who has been missing for over 200 years.
Reet knows nothing about his biological family. He loves his adoptive parents, but has always secretly yearned to understand his identity. So when a political group approaches him with the claim that he has ties to a genetically mysterious, long-deceased family, Reet is only too eager to believe them.
Qven was created to be a Presgr translator. They always had a clear path before them: learn human ways, and eventually, make a match and serve as an intermediary between the dangerous alien Presgr and the human worlds. The realization that they might want something different isn't "optimal behavior".
As a Conclave of the various species approaches—and the long-standing treaty between the humans and the Presgr is on the line—the paths of all three will collide in a chain of events that will have ripple effects across galaxies.
Available in Kindle & hardcover & paperback from Amazon

-Wes