[nesfa-reading-group] I won't be at the next Business Meeting or book discussion

David G. Grubbs dggrubbs at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 21:56:02 EST 2023

I'll miss the next pair of Boskone and NESFA business meetings and most
other work sessions during December.

I'll also miss the December 8th book discussion (moved from December 1st
due to SMOFcon). I usually try to read the book anyway, in case the
other obligation disappears. But this year ...

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, my musical activities will overwhelm
other things. I have three chorale concerts coming up and a major Big Band
concert in the main (1000 seat) hall at the new Groton Hill Music Center.

The multiple concerts and multiple dress rehearsals all piled up this year
to fill December.

The Big Band concert will feature a performance of the Duke Ellington jazz
arrangement of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite (all nine movements). Normal
big band charts are stressful for the first chairs in each section because
of range and the second chairs due to improvisation, but a serious
professional chart like this stresses every single player. We had to expand
the band and call in a couple of much more powerful players to help us. But
the result should be spectacular.

I've been lead trumpet in this band for 25 years and I've never before
participated in anything this difficult or interesting.