[nesfa-reading-group] Three Books

Richard Schwartz richardjschwartz at icloud.com
Sat Oct 7 15:14:11 EDT 2023

Here is the list of the three books I am putting forward to be voted on during our November Reading Group. 1924The
King of Elfland's DaughterLord
Dunsany, Neil
Gaiman (Introduction)The
poetic style and sweeping grandeur of The King of Elfland's Daughter
has made it one of the most beloved fantasy novels of our time, a
masterpiece that influenced some of the greatest contemporary
fantasists. The heartbreaking story of a marriage between a mortal
man and an elf princess is a masterful tapestry of the fairy tale
following the "happily ever after."1979Bloody
Chamber and Other StoriesAngela
CarterAngela
Carter was a storytelling sorceress, the literary godmother of Neil
Gaiman, David Mitchell, Audrey Niffenegger, J. K. Rowling, Kelly
Link, and other contemporary masters of supernatural fiction. In her
masterpiece, The Bloody Chamber—which includes the story that is
the basis of Neil Jordan’s 1984 movie The Company of Wolves—she
spins subversively dark and sensual versions of familiar fairy tales
and legends like “Little Red Riding Hood,” “Bluebeard,” “Puss
in Boots,” and “Beauty and the Beast,” giving them exhilarating
new life in a style steeped in the romantic trappings of the gothic
tradition.1983Winter's
Taleark
HelprinNew
York City is subsumed in arctic winds, dark nights, and white lights,
its life unfolds, for it is an extraordinary hive of the imagination,
the greatest house ever built, and nothing exists that can check its
vitality. One night in winter, Peter Lake, orphan and
master-mechanic, attempts to rob a fortress-like mansion on the Upper
West Side.Though
he thinks the house is empty, the daughter of the house is home. Thus
begins the love between Peter Lake, a middle-aged Irish burglar, and
Beverly Penn, a young girl, who is dying.Peter
Lake, a simple, uneducated man, because of a love that, at first he
does not fully understand, is driven to stop time and bring back the
dead. His great struggle, in a city ever alight with its own energy
and besieged by unprecedented winters, is one of the most beautiful
and extraordinary stories of American literature.