[nesfa-reading-group] Last night's book evaluations and the next few months of further reading

David G. Grubbs dggrubbs at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 13:28:39 EST 2024

We voted on more books last night, so here are our books for the next few
months:
(with dates of the first Friday of each month -- which we have moved
occasionally if people think that Friday clashes with something else)

2024-03-01: Eifelheim (by Michael F. Flynn)
2024-04-05: Millennium (by John Varley)
2024-05-03: The World Inside (by Robert Silverberg)
2024-06-07: The Spare Man (by Mary Robinette Kowal)
2024-07-05: Critical Mass (by Daniel Suarez)

I will put these on the NESFA calendars (One is the NESFA Google calendar,
the other the "Events" list on the left column of www.nesfa.org). If you
want me to post the choices somewhere else, I can try. I don't fool around
with Meetup. If someone else wants to put these on Meetup, you are welcome.

I'll also update the "Events" listing for the NRG, which is still out of
date. I'll try to remember to keep it current.

====================================

The King of Elfland's Daughter (1924) produced a wide variety of reactions,
with a standard deviation that I didn't try to calculate, but we had a very
rare mix of scores: (some of these categories overlap -- e.g. couldn't
finish and no rating)

   - A few people couldn't read or finish the book
   - Four people couldn't rate the book on a linear scale
   - Four people rated the book as poor,
   - Two people rated it as middling
   - Two people rated it highly

Ignoring the "no rating" comments, the average score was 6.75 out of 13,
with a wide standard deviation.