[nesfa-reading-group] Three Body Problem

M M shakespearsshade at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 18 12:32:14 EDT 2017

I have a few suggestions of my own. First is one of my favorites, a short novel from Roger Zelazny entitled Jack of Shadows.

Next, I'd be interested in reading a Jim Butcher novel from his Dresden Files series. Both fine choices to celebrate the most spooky of months, October. I'd also like to include a short story by Neil Gaiman, "October In The Chair".

Mike S.

    On Sunday, June 18, 2017 9:11 AM, R. Luoma <malkin8244 at pobox.com> wrote:

 On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 23:15:36 -0400
"David G. Grubbs" <dggrubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> October is not for spooks, it is for opening portals into alternate
> dimensions, traveling through the multiverse, or worshipping the Great
> Pumpkin.
>
> So I suggest either The Jennifer Morgue (sequel to The Atrocity Archives),

Wait, does not any Laundry novel necessarily involve spooks?

> a recent Michael Moorcock book in the Eternal Champion series (maybe the
> first in the most recent trilogy: A Dreamthief's Daughter),

Did not Stormbringer drink a lot of souls?
That seems pretty spooky to me.

> or a big collection of Charles Schulz cartoons.

I found the Great Pumpkin rather spooky.
While Snoopy's Red Baron episodes might be considered
slipstream fiction, I am not aware of any science fiction
or fantasy specific strips.

However, I will also offer some October suggestions
even though I have not read any of the following --

 Tim Powers _Medusa' Web_
 Nick Mamatas _I Am Providence_
 Alan Moore _Providence_  (cartoon)
 Tim Powers _Hide Me Among the Graves_
--
R. Luoma    malkin8244 [at] pobox [dot] com