[nesfa-reading-group] meeting announced through Calendar

David G. Grubbs dggrubbs at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 22:39:01 EDT 2020

As far as I know, everyone got all of the mails.  The source of the email
wasn't the most important part -- I was trying to see if notifications
worked from all the different platforms:  Browser, Zoom app, GCal plugin,
plain email with a pasted invitation, and modification updates when I
changed the duration of the event.

All the emails seemed to arrive with the one oddity that it thought
"reading-group" was an individual and asked whether it would attend or
not.  I sent out some initial attempts to put individuals into my contacts
list so I could create a zoom "reading group" list so everyone would get
individual notifications, but I haven't seen any responses to my first
small test group.

It seems that the first-level "pro" Zoom account has all the same features
as the bigger one Richard is using except that there can be only one
"host". There still can be any number of "co-hosts".

The only special privileges seem to be: The original "host" (whom I think
by definition is the one who started the meeting) can grab back the host
position; A "host" can give away the host position (with all its
privileges); and a "host" can end the meeting.

All other controls are available to co-hosts: muting and unmuting anyone,
clearing the indicators (yes/no/thumbs-up/etc.), kicking people out,
admitting people when the "Waiting Room" flag is turned on, turning on and
off the "Waiting room" flag, locking the meeting, extra info about voting,
and other controls.  Sharing your monitor or apps windows, drawing on other
people's screens, and a few other things are configurable (anyone,
co-hosts, host only). I set most of them to "anyone".

So, it is usable.  See most of you on Wednesday & Sunday. See you all on
May 1st.