[nesfa-reading-group] Ursula Le Guin online course starts Wednesday night

Tracy Marks tracy at windweaver.com
Tue Sep 19 01:22:41 EDT 2023

(I hope it's ok to post this........I)

Folks - My online Ursula Le Guin course starts online on Wednesday
night.
I need one more person! Only three have signed up and the school has a
minimum
of four. (Two of the participants have taken my classes before and are
great
with discussion....)

However, they'll let me run it if I take a paycut on my already-too-low
pay,
which I'll do though I need the income.

URSULA LE GUIN: Master of Science Fiction and Fantasy
https://lexingtoncommunityed.org/class/ursula-le-guin-master-of-science-fiction-and-fantasy/
Ursula Le Guin’s memorable science fiction and fantasy novels have
appealed to the hearts and minds of millions of readers worldwide for
over 50 years, and won dozens of awards. In this class, we will read and
discuss two of her greatest novels. In The Left Hand of Darkness, her
main character Genly Ai struggles with his prejudice against an
androgynous alien. Le Guin was decades ahead of her time in her
exploration of gender issues in this groundbreaking novel. In the
beautifully written A Wizard of Earthsea, young wizard Ged is chased by
a beast whom he needs to recognize as his own shadow. We’ll begin with
the Earthsea book. Please obtain a copy before the first class.  Seven
two-hour zoom sessions, Wednesday 6:45-8:45pm, $165-$180 for seven
two-hour sessions

Register through Lexington Community Education
Online:  https://lexingtoncommunityed.org/
By Phone: 781.862.8043.

There's no reading assignment for the first class, but next week we
start A Wizard
of Earthsea. And I have over 35 pages of handouts for you already just
on that book!

We'll do 2 1/2 weeks on Wizard and then 4 weeks on Left Hand of
Darkness.
At least that's my initial plan, which is flexible.

(I've been a licensed psychotherapist with some training in Jungian
psychology,
plus an English instructor, and have been teaching adults for 45 years!
Plus
I've written four books of a
psychological/spiritual/mythical/metaphysical
nature which have been in print for over 35 years and reflect my
in-depth
psychological approach - which influences my focus on character
development
in fiction..........)

Someone, please sign up!

Register through Lexington Community Education
Online:  https://lexingtoncommunityed.org/
By Phone: 781.862.8043.

Tracy Marks