[nesfa-reading-group] What do we think of hybrid online/in-person reading group meetings

David G. Grubbs dggrubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 22:41:17 EDT 2020

With the right attachment, we could display the Zoom screen on the big
screen.  For sound, we'd have to experiment, but I'd try to do two things:

1. Get a decent cardioid microphone with an attachment that will connect it
to the laptop you'll probably use and point the mic away from the speakers.
This will certainly cut down on the feedback. Cardioid mics are common and
can be used on stage with huge amps and speakers and not get feedback if
set up properly. I have several, though I'm not sure I have the computer
connection part -- yet.  (I will get one soon so I can use a high-end
studio mic for voiceover work.)

2. If that doesn't work perfectly, then assign a couple of people to
monitor who is talking and either A. mute the microphone if a remote person
is speaking and B. mute the speakers if someone in the building is
speaking. We could also experiment with lowering volumes instead of full
mute. Feedback takes a certain amount of signal.