[nesfa-reading-group] NESFA Reading Group -- books read

A. Ali strawberriesforlunch at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 22:00:38 EDT 2023

Hi David,

Here are my top three picks, in no particular order:

*Exhalation: Stories by Ted Chiang *

*Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro*

*The Employees by Olga Ravn*

A note -- my library in CT does not have a copy of The Employees by Olga
Ravn, so if that's an issue for others, I can replace it with my next pick,
which would be *The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson*. It looks like
the Boston libraries have many copies, Groton has 6, Merrimack valley has
0, and I didn't check others.

I went through a few different lists of sci-fi books and my
main criteria was - what would I pick up to read if I walked past it at the
library this week? There are a lot of books I would happily enjoy
re-reading from my childhood, and some I've wanted to read for a while, but
I'm kind of excited about some of the newer books, especially ones that
cross or bend genres or that come from significantly different perspectives
than what I grew up checking out from my small-town libraries in the 90's.
I've gotten more into short stories lately and I really enjoyed Klara and
the Sun as an audiobook, so this is what I came up with. Hope this works.

Best,
Ayesha